Coaching Staff :: Jenny Hadfield
Jenny is a published author of three books (Marathoning for Mortals, Running for Mortals, Training for Mortals), writer, coach, speaker and endurance athlete. She has a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology, a Masters Degree in Exercise Science and is a certified coach and personal trainer.
She is a Columnist for Health Magazine, the new Women's Running Magazine, writes a weekly "Ask Coach Jenny" blog for RunnersWorld.com, and has written for Cooking Light, Her Sports, the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Athlete and Windy City Sports Magazines.
Jenny began her running career struggling to get down the street. Step by step, she trained, raced and became a top-ranked endurance athlete. Her unique coaching style draws from her struggles to get started to crossing the finish line at the Boston Marathon. Whether your goals are to get started and try running or walking or qualify for the Boston Marathon, Jenny can help you reach them.
Coach Jenny has trained thousands of athletes of all levels. She has been the Official Coach for The Chicago Distance Classic Half Marathon presented by Bank of America, Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon, Capital City Half Marathon, Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half and Full Marathon, OneAmerica Indy Mini Marathon and the Women's Training Consultant for The Bank of America Chicago Marathon.
Coach Jenny is co-owner of Chicago Endurance Sports, Chicago's largest multi-sport company. Jenny is an accomplished endurance athlete and has competed in adventure races all over the world, including Eco-Challenge Borneo 2000, New Zealand 2001, Fiji 2002 and the Antarctica Marathon 2003. She is a Boston Marathon qualified runner and veteran of over 30 marathons.
Coach Jenny is a featured speaker at the Rock n' Roll Marathon Expo series and has presented at the New York City Marathon, Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Runner's World Cruise, Marine Corp Marathon, OneAmerica Indy Mini Marathon, and the St. George Marathon. She lectures around the world on her Adventures in Life motivating employees, clubs and schools to live their best life and reach beyond their comfort zones.
She shares her passion by hosting clinics for women and girls called ...Like a Girl Clinics. From hiking to running to kayaking, Jenny shares her experience and knowledge to encourage and motivate women to reach beyond their comfort zones, break through fears and improve their self-confidence.
Her recent projects include Running for Mortals and Training for Mortals. Her two new books written with running guru John "the Penguin" Bingham and are available autographed on Jenny's website.
Jenny's words of advice to mortal athletes:
"Never give up. Never give in. You never know what is around the next corner."
- Listen to your body.
- Your body knows it can do almost anything it trains for, it is the obstacle in our heads that keep us from achieving our goals.
- Cherish the journey and you will enjoy reaching the destinations.
- Smile as you cross the finish — they are taking your picture!
- Always maintain that sense of humor. If you can laugh at yourself you will go far!
- Co-Founder, Chicago Endurance Sports
- Running Coach—Health Magazine
- Official Event Coach: LaSalle Bank Chicago Distance Classic, Indy Mini Marathon, Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Sporting Life 10K, LaSalle Bank Columbus Distance Classic, Arizona Distance Classic and Training Consultant LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon
- Featured Online Running Coach—ActiveTrainer.com
- Personal Coaching: John "the Penguin" Bingham, Kathy O'Malley WGN Radio Personality and Jessica Guff Senior Producer "The View"
- Personal and Virtual Coach to hundreds of first time and seasoned runners (10 years)
- Founder: North Shore Long Distance Running Program
- Head Coach: TEAM IN TRAINING The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (7 years)
Area of Expertise
- Running and Run-Walking Programs for all levels
- Strength Training for the Multi-Sport Athlete
- Adventure Racing
- Weight loss and Maintenance
- B.S. Exercise Physiology—Health Promotion
- M.A. Exercise Science
- Advanced Certified Personal Trainer: National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Certified Running Coach: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- CPR/Water Rescue Certification
Competitive Experience Highlights
- Three-time Eco-Challenge Competitor (Borneo, New Zealand, Fiji)
- Marathons Completed: 30, Boston Qualified (2)
- Eco-Challenge: Borneo '00, New Zealand 27th '01, Fiji 16th '02
- SOLO Adventure Races: SKARE 36 hour 7th Place, July '03, Oddysey 24-hour 1st Place, June '01
- Primal Quest Expedition Adventure Race Sept. '03
- Wild Onion Urban Adventure Race: Chicago 3rd, 14th, 15th, Indy 14th, NYC 16th
- Cal-Eco 2 Day Adventure Race July '02 - 7th Place
- Sierra Mountains Adventure Race Sept. '01 - 2nd Place
- Endorphin Fix 2 Day Adventure Race April 2000
- Florida Coast to Coast 2 Day Adventure Race May 2000 - 4th Place
- Pathfinder Challenge Adventure Race - Oct. '98 1st Place, Apr. '99 10th Place, Jun. '00 - 3rd Place
- Kettle Moraine Mt. Bike Race Sept. '01 5th Place
- 5K/10Ks 30+ Half Marathons Completed: 30
- Duathlons Completed: 6