Coaching Staff :: Mike Norman
Co-Founder / Coach
Mike is a co-founder/owner of Chicago Endurance Sports (CES) and has been coaching swimmers, runners and triathletes for over 24 years.
A Boston qualified runner and accomplished triathlete, Mike has completed 26 marathons, 6 century rides, the 400+ mile Ride the Rockies bike tour, and countless triathlons (Sprint through Ironman). Mike qualified for the Ironman World Championship in Kona, at his first Ironman race at Ironman Wisconsin in 2005. Most recently, Mike completed Ironman New Zealand, after a "fun" winter of training in the basement!
In 2006, Mike had an outstanding competitive season. He started the year by completing the Boston Marathon. After a busy season of coaching and racing, Mike competed at the HalfMax Long Distance Triathlon National Championships in September, where he qualified to represent the United States as a member of Team USA at the ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship in Canberra, Australia in November. In between those two races, just 5 weeks later, Mike competed against the world's best at the Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii, where he set a PR by almost 20 minutes.
Congratulations to our very own Coach Mike Norman, who is featured on the cover of the August 2009 Chicago Athlete Magazine! Way to go, Coach Mike! (click image to enlarge)
- Tel: 866-237-7861 ext. 85
- Email: email@example.com
- Take the time to make a realistic training plan
- Listen to your body
- Stay healthy — You can't finish if you don't make it to the start!
- Communicate — You're not alone!
- Have fun!
- Co-Founder, Chicago Endurance Sports (Founded in 2000)
- TEAM IN TRAINING — The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (5 years): Marathon, Triathlon
- Gold Coast Multiplex Health & Fitness Club (5 years): Head Triathlon Coach, Master Swim Coach
- Swimming — Age Group though college & masters level (since 1985)
Area of Expertise
- Heart-Rate Training
- Successful with all levels, especially new athletes
- Swim Technique
Experience in Fitness Field
- Fitness Operations Manager: Gold Coast Multiplex Health & Fitness Club (1996-99)
- Race Director/Founder: Multiplex Lakefront Stampede 5K Off-Road Race (1999)
- Nordic Track Sales: Minneapolis, MN and Chicago, IL (1995-97)
- Coaching: See above
- B.S. Exercise Physiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Certified Marathon (Running & Walking) & Triathlon Coach: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- USA Triathlon Level 1 Coach (pending)
Personal Training Goals
- Compete in 3-4 triathlons
- Improve cycling power & running speed
- Stay healthy!
- Support my wife as she trains for half and full Ironman races!
- Qualified for (and ran!) Boston Marathon (1995 & 2005)
- Ironman Wisconsin - Sep. 2005 (11:02:32 - 79th overall & qualified for 2006 Ironman World Championships)
- Ironman World Championship, Kona, Hawaii - Oct. 2006 (10:43:56 - 154th in Age Group, 703rd Overall)
- ITU Long Distance World Championship, Canberra, Australia - Nov. 2006
- USAT HalfMax National Championship - Sep. 2006 (4:55:40 - 10th in Age Group, 45th Overall)
- Accenture Chicago Triathlon (Sprint) - Aug. 2006 (1:12:03 - 2nd in Age Group, 10th Overall)
- Marathons Completed: 24
- Half Marathons Completed: 15
- 5K & 10Ks: too many to count!
- Golden Apple 5K - Oct. 1997 2nd Place Overall (17:01)
- Elvis is Alive 5K - August 1998 3rd Place Overall (17:27)
- Competed in Triathlons since 1993
- Tinman 1/2 Ironman Triathlon - May 2005 8th Place Overall
- Lake Geneva Sprint Triathlon - Sep. 2003 & 2004 4th Place
- Lake Michigan Sprint Triathlon - Sep 2003 3rd Place
- Competitive Swimmer for over 12 years
- University of Wisconsin - Madison: Swim Team Captain & 4 year Varsity Letter Winner (1985-90)
- YMCA National Swimming: Consolation Finalist (1984 & '85)
- High School Swimming: Captain & former school record holder